Wisconsin Department of Transportation — Northeast Region, Green Bay
October 17, 2013
For more information, contact:
Travel advice for packers
Leo Frigo Bridge (I-43) remains closed
The Northeastern Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) region in Green Bay reminds motorists heading to Lambeau Field on Sunday, October 20 for the Green Bay Packers / Cleveland Browns football game that the Leo Frigo Bridge (I-43) on the Fox River remains closed, and US 41 is under construction. Closures, orange barrels, narrow lanes and increased traffic due to the Leo Frigo Bridge closure WILL AFFECT game day travel. Please note that this is a later game from 3:25 p.m.
WisDOT strongly recommends that motorists allow themselves extra time to reach their destination.
Here’s a list of the main roads in northeastern Wisconsin that most Packers fans will take to get to the game and the road conditions they need to anticipate:
Leo Frigo Bridge (I-43)
The bridge remains closed
· Leo Frigo Bridge / I-43 is from US 41 to WIS 172.
· Approximately 30,000 vehicles drive Leo Frigo in a Packer home game. This traffic will be diverted to other streets in the city, US 41 and WIS 172. Expect heavy congestion on US 41 and WIS 172 Sunday between 11:00 am and 3:30 pm and 6:30 pm and 9:30 pm.
Alternative routes for Packer traffic to use on city streets include:
o US 41 Northbound @ Ashland Avenue (Exit 163B)
o US 41 Northbound @ Oneida Street (Exit 164)
o US 41 southbound @ Mason Street (Exit 168)
o I-43 northbound @ Mason Street (exit 183)
· Local residents are strongly encouraged not to use US 41 or WIS 172 on match day.
· WisDOT will have eight message boards alerting the Packer trip to the WIS 172 detour.
· WisDOT has an additional highway service team dedicated to WIS 172 to quickly remove all broken down vehicles. They will operate from 10 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
· The Wisconsin State Patrol has seven other officers assigned to I-43, US 41 and WIS 172 to assist motorists.
United States 41
All construction on US 41 will cease on the day of the Packer match, although barrier walls and orange barrels are present in various locations
o Drivers will encounter 11 foot lanes of traffic and tight shoulders at several locations along a 10 mile freeway segment. The speed limit is reduced to 55 mph from south of Grant Street to I-43. Temporary barrier walls in various locations will slow down traffic.
o The eastbound WIS 172 ramp to US 41 northbound is closed due to a bridge demolition that began prior to the Leo Frigo Bridge incident. Eastbound WIS 172 traffic wishing to exit to US 41 northbound will continue east on WIS 172 and take the Oneida Street / Ashland Avenue exit which ends at Vanderperren Way; take Vanderperren Way West to Holmgren Way, follow Holmgren Way North to Pilgrim Way and take Pilgrim Way East to slip road WIS 172 westbound to US 41 northbound.
o The speed limit is reduced to 55 mph on I-43 between Atkinson Drive and US 41.
o WIS 29 has narrower shoulders due to a temporary barrier wall at various locations which will slow traffic.