Monthly sales hit highest level since January 2020 as international travel increases
Airlines Reporting Corp. (ARC) today released data showing that air ticket sales by ARC-accredited travel agencies totaled $8.4 billion in May 2022, a 135% year-over-year increase. the other from May 2021.* The total marks an increase of 8% month-on-month. one-month increase from April 2022 and the first time total monthly sales have eclipsed $8 billion since January 2020.
Month after month, the May 2022 results showed:
- Total sales increased by 8%.
- The total number of passenger trips increased by 1%.
- US domestic travel fell 1%.
- International travel increased by 6%.
Leisure agencies are showing particular strength as the summer months approach. Year-over-year, the share of leisure-oriented agency tickets sold through May for travel scheduled between June and August increased by 52% compared to the share of leisure-oriented ticket agency sales. business and online. U.S. leisure destinations including Orlando, FL, Denver, CO and Maui, HI will see a larger share of total passengers during the summer months.
“Demand remains strong for air travel heading into the summer season,” said Steve Solomon, vice president of global customers and data products at ARC. “Now that the requirement for inbound international testing in the United States has been dropped, we expect international passenger travel to continue its upward trajectory.”
International trips settled by the CRA in May 2022 increased 82% year-over-year to 8.4 million, while US domestic trips increased 28% to 14.3 million over the same period. The total number of passenger trips settled in May 2022 increased by 43% year-on-year, from 15.8 million to 22.8 million.
The average round-trip airfare to the United States was $628 in May 2022. EMD sales increased 145% year-over-year to $17,112,669. EMD transactions increased 64% to 244,702 over the same period.**
More detailed information is available on the ARC sales statistics page. A further breakdown of corporate, leisure and online ticket sales can be found on the ARC COVID-19 data page.
More detailed information is available on ARC’s sales statistics page.
- Findings are based on monthly sales data ending May 31, 2022, from 10,644 U.S. retail and corporate travel agencies, satellite ticket printers and online travel agencies . Results do not include sales of tickets purchased directly from airlines.
- The average ticket price (USD) is for a round-trip ticket settled through ARC for an itinerary that included only domestic travel within the United States.
- Passenger trips include the total number of passengers making a trip from one airport to another using direct or connecting flights. Newly issued trips are added and refunded trips are deducted to provide a clean view of passengers on the move.
- US domestic passenger travel includes the total number settled through ARC when the itinerary is entirely within the US. International passenger trips include the total number settled through the ARC when all or part of the trip is to airports outside of the United States or originates from outside of the United States.
- Total sales equals the total amount paid for a ticket, which includes taxes and fees.
**Electronic miscellaneous documents (EMD)
- Includes charges for products and services such as upgraded seats, checked baggage, unaccompanied minor, in-cabin pet, etc.