Average ticket price drops month-on-month for the first time since January 2022
ARLINGTON, Virginia–(BUSINESS WIRE)–#arcdata–Airlines Reporting Corp. (ARC) today released data showing that airline ticket sales by ARC-accredited travel agencies totaled $7.9 billion in June 2022, an 87% year-over-year increase. the other from June 2021.* The average round-trip airfare in the United States price was $605 in June 2022, a 33% increase year-over-year and a decrease of 4% compared to the May 2022 average.
Month after month, the June 2022 results showed:
- Total sales decreased by 6%.
- Total passenger trips down 5%.
- US domestic travel fell 4%.
- International travel fell 7%.
– Advertising –
“In pre-pandemic years, we’ve typically seen an 8-12% drop in total sales and passenger travel from May to June,” said Steve Solomon, vice president of global customers and data products. at ARC. “The smaller month-over-month decline in total sales and passenger travel shows that air travel demand remains strong for both domestic and international routes.”
The total number of passenger trips settled by the ARC in June 2022 increased by 23% year-on-year, from 17.5 million to 21.6 million, driven by a 52% increase in year-over-year international trips, which totaled 7.9 million. US domestic trips increased 11% to 13.7 million over the same period.
EMD sales increased 67% year over year to $13,730,386. EMD transactions increased 37% to 233,258 over the same period.**
ARC accelerates the growth of global air travel by providing forward-looking travel data, flexible distribution services and other innovative industry solutions. We are a leading travel intelligence company with the world’s largest and most comprehensive air ticket dataset, comprising over 15 billion passenger flights representing 490 airlines and 230 countries and territories. Our solutions and expertise strengthen economies and enrich lives by connecting stakeholders across the travel ecosystem. For more information, visit arccorp.com.
- Findings are based on monthly sales data ending June 30, 2022, from 10,641 U.S. retail and corporate travel agencies, satellite ticket printing offices and online travel agencies. Results do not include sales of tickets purchased directly from airlines.
- The average ticket price (USD) is for a round-trip ticket settled through ARC for an itinerary that included only domestic travel within the United States.
- Passenger trips include the total number of passengers making a trip from one airport to another using direct or connecting flights. Newly issued trips are added and refunded trips are deducted to provide a clean view of passengers on the move.
- US domestic passenger travel includes the total number settled through ARC when the itinerary is entirely within the US. International passenger trips include the total number settled through the ARC when all or part of the trip is to airports outside of the United States or originates from outside of the United States.
- Total sales equals the total amount paid for a ticket, which includes taxes and fees.
**Electronic miscellaneous documents (EMD)
- Includes charges for products and services such as upgraded seats, checked baggage, unaccompanied minor, in-cabin pet, etc.
© Airlines Reporting Corporation (ARC). All rights reserved.